We have all been there. You want that file from a while back, where has it gone? You could also wonder, is it still on my computer? Here is how to search for a file in Windows 10 in order to quickly gain access to the file you need now.
Windows File Explorer is a useful tool for many things. And one of them is the ability to search for files anywhere on your computer.
Sometimes searching can take some time, depending on the number of files on your computer, but showing a little patience will return the results you are after.
The same technique will work for folders too. So don’t be surprised if you see folders with the same name being produced within the results.
How to search for a file or folder
- Open Windows File Explorer (Hold down the Windows Key on your keyboard and tap ‘E’, then release the Windows key).
- In the left-hand pane, select the location. Example: This Computer or Local Disk (C:).
- Move your mouse pointer over the search box on the top right-hand corner of your screen and press your left mouse button.
- Type a portion of the exact name of the file and press enter for File Explorer to get to work on your result.
Be patient and allow your computer to show your results. It sometimes can take a bit of time, depending on the number of files on your drive and the speed of the drive.
How to search for a program
By simply clicking on the Windows start menu icon in the bottom left-hand corner of your screen, you can start typing the name of the program you want.
As you type the name, it will anticipate the program you are looking for by showing the most relevant result. Your program will appear at the top of your Start Menu. It will begin by displaying the closest match first, then the closest matching results thereafter.
The reason for searching for a program through the Start Menu is that it will produce less, but more specific results. When you search using Windows File Explorer, it will show the results of all the files within the drive or folder that is selected.
How to search for files by date created or modified
Open Windows Explorer. Type in any of these date-related parameters first in the search bar before your query:
How do I search for a folder in Windows 10?
- Open Windows Explorer.
- Type in the folder name in the search box.
- Your folder will appear in the results.
How do I do an advanced search in Windows 10?
- Open Windows File Explorer.
- Left-click on the search button option on the menu.
- Left-click on the ‘Advanced options’ drop-down menu.
- Left-click on the advanced option you want.
- Complete the search in the search box.
There are many software applications that offer a search function. Yes, some of them work really well, like a tool called Everything.
Of course, it’s down to personal preference. I still find it difficult to keep track of all the software applications on my computer. Some of them I even forget about.
Would installing an app like this be an everyday benefit? If not, I’d recommend just sticking with the plain old way of searching as I’ve shown above.
This way, you will be able to use any computer and find things straight away, without having to install extra software.