In showing you how to create a shortcut on your desktop in Windows 10, you will be able to create a shortcut to any program or folder in a few easy steps.
Shortcuts, especially those on our desktops, can save a lot of time when wanting to open something quickly. We also get used to the location of each one.
Now you will be able to create them to programs or folders that you want to use more frequently.
How to create a shortcut on the desktop
- Press your right mouse button with your pointer hovered over any unused area of your desktop.
- Move your mouse pointer to hover over ‘New’ and a new menu will roll out.
- Move your mouse pointer to hover over ‘Shortcut’ and press your left mouse button.
- In the new ‘Create Shortcut’ window that has popped up, move your mouse pointer to hover over Browse and press your left mouse button.
- Navigate and select the program you wish to make a shortcut to by hovering your mouse pointer over it and pressing the left mouse button.
- Move your mouse to hover the pointer over ‘Select’ and press the left mouse button. Proceed to do the same on ‘Next’.
- Type a name for your it and move your mouse pointer to hover over ‘Finish’ and press the left mouse button.
You now have a new shortcut on your desktop linking to the program or file that you selected.
How to create shortcut on desktop using File Explorer
You could use this method in the event that your file is a little harder to access.
- Open Windows File Explorer.
- Navigate to the folder you wish to create a shortcut for.
- Hover over the folder with your mouse pointer and press the right mouse button.
- Move your mouse pointer to hover over ‘Send to’ the move it to hover over ‘Desktop (create shortcut) in the new rolled out menu. Press the left mouse button.
- Rename it to your liking and press enter.
That’s how you can create one for a folder, or anything else for that matter.
You can even copy the shortcut to other locations if you need to have one anywhere else.
How to add an Outlook icon to your desktop
- Open the Start Menu and find the Outlook program.
- Right-click on Outlook in the Start Menu and hover your mouse pointer over ‘More’
- Left-click on ‘Open file location’.
- The Outlook shortcut should be highlighted in a new window for you.
- Right-click on the Outlook shortcut and hover your mouse pointer over ‘Send to’.
- Left-click on ‘Desktop (create shortcut) from the slide-out menu.
- Rename the new Outlook shortcut on your desktop to ‘Outlook’ by right-clicking on the shortcut and left-clicking on ‘Rename’.
How do I put my computer icon on desktop in Windows 10?
- Open the Start Menu and left-click on the settings icon.
- Left-click on ‘Personalization’.
- In the right-hand pane under ‘Related Settings’, left click on ‘Desktop icon settings’.
- Check the ‘Computer’ checkbox and left-click on ‘OK’.
And that’s how you can create a shortcut using two different methods. The icon you create from your desktop as opposed to Windows Explorer is quick and easy. The only drawback is that you are limited to only creating one on the desktop itself. So use the method that applies to your situation.
Creating a new one will be necessary when you have installed a program and a shortcut to your desktop wasn’t created. And of course, there are many more reasons.
Enjoy having quick access to your favorite programs from your desktop.