One of the wonderful aspects of working on a computer is multitasking. Knowing how to switch between programs in Windows 10 is essential for maintaining an uninterrupted workflow.
Microsoft Windows has made it easy for us to switch between applications. You can instantly view and change any program using keyboard shortcuts or a few mouse clicks.
How to Switch Between Programs in Windows 10
Here, we will cover the most common ways to switch between programs.
The most common method is presented first. After that, you can choose other methods that suit you best. This list is in no particular order.
1. Switch programs using the Alt + Tab shortcut keys
- Press and hold down the ‘Alt’ key on your keyboard.
- Tap the ‘Tab’ button. Each time you tap the ‘Tab’ button, you will select programs currently running sequentially as long as you keep the ‘Alt’ pressed down.
- Tap the ‘Tab’ key until you have selected the program you want to switch to.
- Let go of the ‘Alt’ key. Your program will now be selected.
Alternatively, keeping the ‘Alt’ key down after the first ‘Tab’ button press allows you to select it by left-clicking your mouse pointer.
Tip: A layout will be displayed of all the programs that you can select, so you can easily see which program you are going to select when releasing the ‘Alt’ key.
2. Using Windows + Tab shortcut keys
Press and hold down the ‘Windows Key’ on your keyboard and tap the ‘Tab’ key, then release the ‘Windows Key’.
Now, you can left-click your mouse on any program you wish to switch to. Every currently available window will be brought forth for you to view all at once.
Once you have left-clicked on the desired program, it will be brought up and ready for you to work with it.
3. Select the program from the taskbar
Any program running on your computer will have its icon displayed in the taskbar. Left-click your mouse on the icon to restore it to view.
If it’s a program with multiple windows open, you can view the list of windows by left-clicking your mouse on the icon.
Select the specific window by left-clicking on it.
These are the most common ways you can switch between applications. Find the most comfortable way; before you know it, you will switch between programs like a pro!