Windows is a prevalent operating system capable of handling various tasks, including coding. But there is a debate about whether or not Windows 10 is the right option for someone who wants to get started with software development. So, is Windows 10 good for coding?
Windows 10 is a good choice for coding because it supports many programs and languages. In addition, it has significantly improved over other versions of Windows and comes with various customization and compatibility options. There are also many advantages to coding on Windows 10 over Mac or Linux.
This article will explain why Windows 10 is good for coding and what codes you can develop. Additionally, we will compare Windows 10 to two other operating systems that people use to code: Mac and Linux, and discuss how Windows 10 is better than Windows 8, both in general and for coding.
Reasons why Windows 10 is good for coding
There are many reasons why Windows 10 is good for coding—especially compared to other operating systems like Mac and Linux and older Windows versions. This section will explain the biggest benefits of coding with Windows.
- Windows has great security features. The virus protection on Windows 10 has only improved over the years, and it is built into the operating system to shield you from the plethora of security threats on the internet. There are still outside antivirus programs that you can use to supplement the built-in program for even more security.
- Windows has a great battery life, which is crucial for when you are coding. When writing code, you want your device to last you as long as possible so you do not have to be confined to an outlet while you work. This is a huge benefit if you like using a portable device.
- Windows is easy to upgrade in two ways. First, if you want a computer with the newest features, computers are always being released that run Windows. You can also always get a computer with specific features if you have any that help you code, like a big screen or a specific display. Also, Windows is always updating its system to be safer and faster, which will only help you code better and keep your files more secure.
- Windows 10 supports a huge range of programming languages. You can code in nearly any language. There are so many programs that you can install from the Windows Store that will teach you new languages, let you code, and more. Even Apple’s Swift and Google’s Flutter has arrived for Windows 10.
How to code on Windows 10
Windows 10 is easy to code on, no matter what you are coding for. This section lists a few languages you can use to code and the tools that come with Windows 10 to help you code.
According to Microsoft Docs, you can write software using nine major languages, tools, and programs on Windows:
- C and C++
These are the languages that are most popular to code on Windows. However, you can always code other languages with programs that you can install, so you are not limited to these nine.
There are also many tools that you can use on Windows 10 to code. These tools all come ready to use on Windows 10, and they include:
- Windows Subsystem for Linux. This program lets you code for Linux on your Windows 10 system.
- Windows Terminal. Customize your coding environment
- Windows Package Manager. Lets you use the winget.exe client, which is a package manager.
- Microsoft PowerToys. A set of power user utilities that help you be more productive.
- VS Code. This is one of the code editors available for Windows 10. You can use it to edit code in languages including Java, Python, and C++.
- Visual Studio. You can use Visual Studio to edit and build code, publish apps, debug your code, and more.
- Azure. A platform for managing apps and developing new ones.
- .NET. A framework for building various applications, including web apps, mobile apps, gaming applications, and more.
- PowerShell. A framework for automating tasks, creating customized system management tools, and a replacement for the Command Prompt.
- SQL Server. A database management system that helps you create, share, and store data from other applications.
When is Windows 10 better than Mac?
Choosing between Windows 10 and Mac is a matter of personal preference. However, there are times when one is better than the other.
Windows 10 is better than Mac when it comes to price, security, commonality with other users and coders, device options, and many other features that benefit coders. These reasons are why coders should use Windows 10 over Mac, but Mac may be better if you use other Apple devices or need to code iOS.
Computers that run Windows 10 are much cheaper than Mac computers, which start at over one thousand dollars for a basic model. However, if you are a serious coder, you will probably be buying a nicer model with extra features, which could cost you multiple thousands of dollars.
On the other hand, computers that run Windows 10 can start as low as a few hundred dollars. A nicer model that is better suited for coding will likely cost around one thousand dollars and nowhere close to the few thousand dollars you’ll have to pay for a Mac.
However, one important thing to remember is that Apple devices last for a few more years than Windows devices. The longer battery life is also why Mac computers cost more than Windows, but it does not justify paying twice as much or more for many people.
While Windows 10 does have many security features, as mentioned above, so does Mac. Mac used to be the much more secure operating system, but today, Windows 10 has upped its security, and both are comparable.
Windows is the most popular operating device worldwide, so if you are working with other team members who will be reading and using your code, it is easier for everyone to use a Windows device. Of course, there are nuances to consider, but being on the same operating system makes life easier for everyone on the team.
According to Statista, over 77% of computer users worldwide use a Windows operating system compared to only 17% of Mac users. The remaining computers run Linux, Chrome, or other less popular operating systems.
Apple offers different Mac computers, including laptops and desktops. However, the variety is nowhere close to the number of devices that run Windows 10.
If you are looking for specific features, you are more likely to find them with a Windows device. The huge variety of devices will give you many options, and if you want to change for any reason, you will easily find a new one while still using Windows 10.
Consider your language
It would help if you considered the language and framework you’d use before choosing whether to work on Windows 10 or a Mac. For example, if you are coding for iOS, you will need to use a Mac. But, if you are coding for Windows, a computer with Windows 10 is better.
Another operating system is Linux, which operates devices like smartphones, cars, and home appliances. Android is based on the Linux kernel. If you create software for Android and other Linux-based systems, you can use either Mac or Windows 10 with little to no difference.
Other big features
Mac computers do not have touchscreen capabilities, whereas many Windows computers do. In fact, Windows 10 has specific settings that will make it easier to use with a touch screen. If you find it easier to use a touchscreen when you code, Windows is the obvious choice, and they even make it easier for you to use with your touchscreen.
Furthermore, a Mac is not made with gamers in mind like Windows is. Many people who code are also gamers and sometimes even create games. You will undoubtedly need a Windows computer if you want to play or code games.
On the other hand, if your job involves graphic design, you’ll be better off getting a Mac.
When to choose Mac over Windows 10
Other than developing apps for iOS, which you can not do on Windows 10, there is one other situation where Mac may be better than Windows 10.
If you have other Apple devices like an iPhone or iPad, they will easily sync to your Apple computer. The sync feature makes it easy to share your coded files between devices and can increase your productivity.
For more information on the difference between using Windows 10 and Mac for coding, you can check out this video by The Modern Coder on YouTube:
When is Windows 10 better than Linux?
Linux is another lesser-known operating system, just like Windows or Mac. Many people have not heard of Linux, but it is the operating system for many things that we use every day, like Android smartphones, cars, and smart home appliances.
While it has its benefits, like being completely free, Linux can’t beat Windows 10 regarding security, program availability, and customer support. However, some coders already use Linux, and they prefer it because of their freedom in customizing their operating system.
The price you pay for Windows 10 helps keep your data and system safe from viruses and malware. Unfortunately, most versions of Linux do not have built-in antivirus software. Some exceptions to this include the Fedora and Ubuntu versions of Linux. Therefore, if you use Linux, you will have to install outside antivirus software to protect your computer.
There are also more coding languages and programs available on Windows, as listed above. Furthermore, if you need to code for Linux, you can easily install your IDE on Windows 10 instead of going on a Linux operating system.
Windows 10 has way more programs available than Linux. Not only for coding but in general. If you often use Microsoft Office apps, you will want to use Windows.
Help with your problems
Finally, Windows has much more tech support than Linux. While Linux being free is a benefit, this also means that there is no customer service available. If you need help with your Linux system, you will need to find a solution online, but many Linux users post help online. But, with Windows, you can get help from their customer support.
When to choose Linux over Windows 10
The biggest benefit of Linux is that it is free to use. If you do not want to pay for Windows 10, you can download Linux for free. Downloading Linux is a great idea if you have an older operating system like Windows 8 and you want to upgrade without paying for Windows 10 or Mac.
Linux is also great if you want to code Linux on its own system. Many coders who use Linux are very familiar with the system, and they enjoy working on Linux. While you can code for Linux on Windows 10, you may find it easier to code on its own system, especially if you want more control over your system or if you already use Linux for anything else.
Why Windows 10 is better than Windows 8
Windows 8 was released in 2012, and just three years later, they released Windows 10. There was a lot of negative feedback regarding Windows 8, and it was even hard to code using it. That is why Microsoft released Windows 10 so soon after.
There are many differences between the two, including the following:
- It is easier to use multiple programs at the same time when you are coding. Windows 10 allows you to show one, two, or four programs on one screen simultaneously. You can easily switch between the programs, and the Task View shows you all the programs that you have open at the same time.
- Windows 10 has an upgraded file system. You can easily search your files, folders, and programs. Additionally, there is a Quick Access feature that shows your most recent items so you can easily find them. This feature is great for finding your latest code files and keeping track of them with an easy sort and search feature.
- Windows 10 also has a lot more applications that you can install and use. The Windows Store has many applications that will help you code better and more easily. Some of these applications do not work on Windows 8.
- Finally, there is a new voice assistant called Cortana that will enhance your Windows experience. You can ask her anything. She can find files for you, search the internet for questions, or help you use your Windows 10 system if you need help or tips.
However, Windows 10 is a huge improvement over Windows 8 (or Windows 7) and will be great for helping you code more efficiently.
Learn to code with Windows 10
If you want to learn how to code with Windows 10, there are several resources that you can use to do so.
First, one of the most important tools to use when you code on Windows 10 is the Visual Studio Code. To learn how to install the application, and the basics of using it, watch this video from Programming Knowledge on YouTube:
There are also other coding programs that you can use on Windows 10, including Atom, Sublime Text, UltraEdit, and Notepad++. You can learn about all of them in this video by The Breakdown on YouTube:
Windows 10 is a great operating system for coding. It supports many languages and programs. What’s more, Windows 10 has many advantages over Mac and Linux, two other popular operating systems.
Windows 10 is also a huge upgrade from Windows 8, which was not well suited for coding. If you are unfamiliar with Windows 10 but want to learn more about coding with it, use the resources in this article to get started.